A brief history of 2nd Maryport Scout Group
2nd Maryport Scout Group was first registered with the national Scout Movement in February 1939 shortly before the outbreak of the Second World War.
Although this is the first formal recognition of this Group it is known that Scouting was alive and kicking in Maryport almost from the outset of the Scouting Movement.
There are news articles of Scouts from Maryport being on Coast watch duties during the 1914-18 war so it is likely that Scouting will have been part of our community for 100 years. It is know that a group existed in Ellenborough in 1919 and that there was a Group in Grasslot prior to 1939.
After World War 2 the headmaster of the newly opened primary school at Camp Road, Mr George Scott was running the cub section which met in the school during winter months and from his home in Camp Road during the summer.
The Scout section was run by the late Mr Wilf Tully of Grasslot in the Presbyterian Church Hall in Crosby Street (now demolished and replaced by Solway Court).
In 1959 the Group purchased a former school building which house a Government office in George Street and transformed it into a new Headquaters.
The new headquarters was named after Mr George Scott and was opened in 1960.
|District Commissioner Mr Bradshaw unveiling the plaque at the opening ceremony of Scott House as our HQ in 1960. On the step is Mr George Scott, former Scout Master, after whom the building was named and watching from the left is GSM Wilf Tully.|
|The crowd at the opening ceremony with Cub Master Taff Hughes leading the Grand Howl|
|Senior Scouts Roger Tully (left) and Mark Coulthard at the opening ceremon (Roger won the Queens Scout Award in 1960)|
With Wilf Tully as Group Scout leader the group surged in numbers and activities and became a prominent organisation in the town.
International links were formed with Danish Scouts and a number of visits were made to Copenhagen.
Good Scouting continued in the town and in 1986 a Beaver Scout section was formed.
Three years later the Group celebrated its Golden Anniversary with its one and only Gang Show in Maryport Civic Hall.
Beaver Scouts, Cub Scouts and Scouts continue to meet as always and is set to celebrate its 75th anniversary in 2014.